[LINK] Link belongs to Bezos

Howard Lowndes lannet@lannet.com.au
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 11:12:55 +1100 (EST)

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003, Adam Todd wrote:

> At 07:07 27/02/03 +1000, Chirgwin, Richard wrote:
> >Bad news, all. Jeff Bezos has patented "a method and system for conducting
> >an electronic discussion".
> ><http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=
> >1&u=/netahtml/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=6,525,747.WKU.&OS=PN/6,525,747&RS=
> >PN/6,525,747>
> >
> >Sanity is out to lunch.
>
> A method and system for conducting an electronic discussion relating to a
> topic. The discussion system of the present invention receives a selection
> of an item that is to be the topic of the discussion. The discussion system
> then receives comments relating to the selected item and generates a
> message that includes a description of the selected item and the received
> comments. The discussion system then sends the generated message to
> participants of the discussion. The discussion system receives from a
> participant who received the generated message additional comments that are
> to be added to the generated message. The discussion system sends the
> generated message along with received additional comments to the
> participants of the discussion.
>

> I got confused after the third line.
>
> I think the patent office read this and the summary and got totally
> confused and couldn't relate it to message boards and such.  <sigh>

Frankly it is one of those patents that has been prior art for years,
should be patently and blatantly ignored, and hopefully by so doing, might
inject some sense into the US patent system.  Mind you, they might just
want to launch some sort of reverse class action...

--
Howard.
LANNet Computing Associates - Your Linux people <http://www.lannetlinux.com>