[LINK] what is on and off topic for Link?

Antony Barry tony@tony-barry.emu.id.au
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 13:27:27 +1100

On Thursday, February 27, 2003, at 11:55 AM, Ralph Seberry wrote:

> List owner's prerogative. Start your own list if you want different
> rules.

I don't "own" the list. I try to help it run. The list belongs to the
membership and the topics discussed are determined by you all. If
discussion strays outside the usual bounds and it is clear that this is
desired I have accepted shifted boundaries. We got into mobile phones
and operating system discussions that way and more general issues of
censorship.

Where I intervene I do so if I think -

* A topic has run for so long that I feel many people are tired of it.
They may tell me, say so to the list or there may be a swathe of
unsubscribing.

* Discussion becomes heated involving few people and who's argument
could better take place off list.

* The topic is way outside our usual boundaries and starts to generate
discussion amongst a few people rather than many. This is a pretty
fluid area though. Matters of great topical concern like the Iraq
situation or refugees I keep a lighter touch.

I believe that if i try to rigidly control the list I'd destroy it. All
I can do is nudge debate if I think it will help. As I have moods I'm
not consistent but that's they way it is.

Tony

phone : +61 2 6241 7659 | mailto:me@Tony-Barry.emu.id.au
mobile: +61 4 1242 0397 | http://tony-barry.emu.id.au