[LINK] what is on and off topic for Link?

David Lochrin dlochrin@dot.net.au
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 10:19:13 +1100

At 11:54 27-02-2003 +1100, Antony Barry wrote:

>On Thursday, February 27, 2003, at 12:56 AM, Irene Graham wrote:
>
>> Generally speaking, it seems to be perfectly acceptable to post
>> messages
>> that are -completely- off-topic and the thread can go on and on and on.
>
>If an off topic thread goes on and on we should look at the scope of
>the list.
>
>Note that the list membership has been in slow decline over the last 5
>years from a peak of 405 in March 1998 to 309 now.

   Is it possible the slow decline in membership has something to do with the Great IT Recession?  I suspect many people have simply moved out of the industry.  It would be interesting to know whether those who have left the list were predominantly recent suscribers.

   I've sometimes wondered whether the scope of Link should be broadened to include general science and technology, however I'm not in favour of any formal change.  One of the nice things about this list is that threads do sometimes go out of scope in interesting ways.  As Adam Todd observed, that gives depth to the personalities of the members, and it prevents the list from becoming nerd-like and boring.  Besides that, any high-level discussion of IT&C is likely to stray into policy and philosophical areas.

David Lochrin

David Lochrin
+61 2 9363 1094
PGP public key available by emailing <pgp-public-keys@keys.pgp.net>