[LINK] re: ACS 2004 "IT in Government" Conference: Any questions?

Tom Worthington Tom.Worthington at tomw.net.au
Mon Dec 6 10:04:00 EST 2004

I wrote Fri, 05 Nov 2004 10:33:08 +1100:

>Greetings from the ACS 2004 "IT in Government" Conference now on in
>Canberra, 5 November 2004 ... Below are my quick notes (not an official
>report) from the morning of the conference. ...

Sorry, I forgot to post my notes from the afternoon session (appended).
Slides from most presentations are now available at
<http://www.acs.org.au/act/conference/>.

>* TRANSFORMING THE DEFENCE INFORMATION ENVIRONMENT THROUGH IMPROVED
>GOVERNANCE, AIR VICE-MARSHAL JULIE HAMMER, CIO OF DEPARTMENT OF DEFENCE
>(A/G) ...

Defence Information Environment is more than just IT. "DIE Framework" for a
common language to discuss defence information. A management version of the
ISO seven layer network model was shown. Conceptually Defence run one
network for both military and non-military use (there are different
security level networks). As of 3 December the Office of the CIO,
Information Systems Division and software/support from various bits of
defence will be brought together. Defence spends about $1.1B a year on IT,
which is about 6.5% of the budget and is comparable with US DoD and major
companies. However the largest area of expenditure at 28% is on user
applications. I suggested in question time this could be reduced by using
an open source approach.

Slides: <http://www.acs.org.au/act/conference/Julie.ppt>

>* IT SECURITY VULNERABILITY DEMONSTRATION       INFORMATION SECURITY GROUP
>DEFENCE SIGNALS DIRECTORATE

Missed that one. But DSD always put on a good show demonstrating computer
attacks can be.

>* EBUSINESS, EGOVERNMENT, EXPORTS: IMPLEMENTING THE CUSTOMS CARGO
>MANAGEMENT REENGINEERING SYSTEM, MR MURRAY HARRISON, CIO OF AUSTRALIAN
>CUSTOMS SERVICE

Murray was the day's most entertaining speaker. Customs are rebuilding
systems conceived in the 1960s to integrate industry and customs. At this
point a theme in the day became apparent: defence, immigration and customs
all have real time, sensitive systems which have to link internationally
and interface securely with other organizations. The new customs system
received press criticism but worked well in practice. The key issue was not
the software development, but helping clients with implementing digital
certificates to use the system. The system receives 85,000 incoming
messages and sends 200,000 outbound per day. It uses SMTP e-mail protocol
for simplicity. The system is more than 23,000 Function points in size.
Murray made the point that Customs didn't build an Internet front end to an
old mainframe batch application, they rebuilt the system using new
technologies and tools.

Slides: <http://www.acs.org.au/act/conference/Murray.ppt>.

>* IDENTITY MANAGEMENT? OR (ID)ENTITY MISMANAGEMENT?, DR ROGER CLARKE
>AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL UNIVERSITY

We don't have a language to clearly describe issues with identity
management (certificates versus signatures and such like). Leaving the
issues of the desirability of uses of identity management to one side,
Roger discussed the practicalities of how to get it to work.

Slides: <http://www.acs.org.au/act/conference/Roger.pdf>.

>* CAN PROJECT MANAGEMENT WORK IN THE PUBLIC SECTOR?, MR ROB THOMSETT,
>PROJECT MANAGEMENT GURU

Rob claimed he was not going to be controversial, but then showed a graph
which suggested peak productivity for staff was between 55 to 60 years old.
He then looked at differences between private and public sector: Private
sector is driven by profit share and price, public sector is driven by
policy and service delivery efficiency; private sector governance is
externally driven, public sector internally driven.

Slides: <http://www.acs.org.au/act/conference/Rob.ppt>.

Tom Worthington FACS     tom.worthington at tomw.net.au  Ph: 0419 496150
Director, Tomw Communications Pty Ltd             ABN: 17 088 714 309
http://www.tomw.net.au               PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617
Visiting Fellow, Computer Science,  Australian National University
Publications Director,  Australian Computer Society