[LINK] Fwd: [Politech] RFID tags reportedly found in German loyalty shopping card [priv]

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Wed Feb 11 11:01:32 EST 2004

Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 00:19:59 -0500
To: politech at politechbot.com
From: Declan McCullagh <declan at well.com>
Subject: [Politech] Reply to RFID tags reportedly found in German loyalty
  card [priv]

From: "Jim Harper - Privacilla.org" <jim.harper at privacilla.org>
To: "'Declan McCullagh'" <declan at well.com>
Subject: RE: [Politech] RFID tags reportedly found in German loyalty
shopping card [priv]
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 14:39:49 -0500

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Technophobe Furor: Magnetic Stripes Discovered on Credit Cards!

Using a secret, invisible technology called "magnetism," credit cards are
being embedded with information about credit card users, say privacy
advocates.

This secret "magnetic" technology is concealed from consumers in an
innocuous looking stripe on the back of some credit cards, allowing
information to be transferred secretly between credit card companies and
merchants.  The evildoers then surreptitiously or brazenly effectuate
transactions at the behest of purchasers, taking control of a small part of
their financial assets in the process.

"This 'magnetism' is foisted on consumers without any notice or warning.
Our outrage and surprise knows no bounds.  Consumers won't be seduced by the
appeal of lower cost, greater convenience, or any other pursuit ordinarily
associated with the wants and needs of consumers," said consumer advocate Ka
. . . .

'Nuff said.

Jim Harper
Editor
Privacilla.org

--
Roger Clarke              http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/

Xamax Consultancy Pty Ltd, 78 Sidaway St, Chapman ACT 2611 AUSTRALIA
                 Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916
mailto:Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au            http://www.xamax.com.au/

Visiting Professor in the eCommerce Program, University of Hong Kong
Visiting Professor in the Baker Cyberspace Law & Policy Centre, U.N.S.W
Visiting Fellow in Computer Science, Australian National University