[LINK] New Indian Ocean Tsunami Warnings may be blocked as Spam

Tom Worthington Tom.Worthington at tomw.net.au
Wed Jul 6 08:47:10 EST 2005

I wrote 21 Jun 2005 09:45:24 +1000 "Re: Tsunami Warnings all about politics
and cooperation":

>I now get Tsunami warnings on my phone. ... SMS alert ...

"Tsunami Watch" Number 001 for the Indian Ocean was issued on 5 July 2005
(UTC) for a magnitude 6.7 earthquake off Northern Sumatra: "THERE IS A VERY
SMALL POSSIBILITY OF A DESTRUCTIVE LOCAL TSUNAMI IN THE INDIAN OCEAN".

However, the warning message got a Spam score of 3.7 from SpamAssassin
<http://spamassassin.apache.org/>. A previous test message similarly rated
for Spam. I advised the Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA), who issued the
test bulletin and UNESCO, who forwarded it, suggesting they change the
format to look less like Spam. There is a risk of Tsunami warnings being
filtered out by Spam filters and not being received.

Tom Worthington FACS HLM tom.worthington at tomw.net.au Ph: 0419 496150
Director, Tomw Communications Pty Ltd            ABN: 17 088 714 309
http://www.tomw.net.au                PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617
Visiting Fellow, Computer Science, Australian National University