[LINK] Financial Collapse from Web Reintermediation?

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Tue Aug 1 09:04:23 AEST 2006

At 08:48 AM 1/08/2006, Tom Worthington wrote:
>There also seem to have been a lot of ads for telecommunications companies
>which have no telecommunications infrastructure. Rather than
>disintermediation, the web is providing for new layers of service
>providers, each as thin as a playing card. This gives me an uncomfortable
>feeling that with a small increase in interest rates this house of cards
>will collapse and we will have a combined financial crisis and dot.com crash.

nah, don't think so. Debt consolidation brokers aren't new. The web is just
another part of the 'advertising' mix and user interface. Doesn't mean they
are or aren't dodgy, they just aren't outlaying the rents for the
storefronts. :-)

But I like your new word: reintermediation.  Took me a minute to get my
head around it. I guess all those disintermediated middle managers and
supervisors from branch closings and downsizing in the banks had to find a
job in their field of interest somewhere!

Jan Whitaker
JLWhitaker Associates, Melbourne Victoria
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
personal: http://www.janwhitaker.com/personal/
commentary: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/

'Seed planting is often the most important step. Without the seed, there is
no plant.' - JW, April 2005