[LINK] Fwd: Census Config [Was: Personal comments on the eCensus form]

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Wed Aug 2 20:16:37 AEST 2006

At 06:56 PM 2/08/2006, Roger Clarke wrote:
>Currently, www.census.abs.gov.au resolves to 202.81.31.30, 62, 94 and 126
>(round-robin on one sub-net?!), but times out on pings.  The DNS entry is
>below.
>
>Whereas census.abs.gov.au says 'Bad name, address or endpoint
>(OTBadBameErr)'.  (I'm using Interarchy 8.1.1 at 16:50-55 UT+10).
>
>Am I alone in being astonished that:
>(a)  there's no duplicate name-server (on a separate sub-net, of course)
>(b)  there's no name-server entry for the domain-name without 'www.'
>(c)  all of the servers appear to be on the same sub-net, and hence
>      the service is seriously fragile
>
>I'm not a practitioner in this area, just someone who drifts in and out
>from time to time, so I'll allow for the possibility that the config is
>better than it looks ...

Wasn't there a story that IBM is the subbie on this? Doesn't that mean that
IBM is the one in control of setting up all this stuff so ABS didn't have
to install a once off system?

Jan

Jan Whitaker
JLWhitaker Associates, Melbourne Victoria
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
personal: http://www.janwhitaker.com/personal/
commentary: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/

'Seed planting is often the most important step. Without the seed, there is
no plant.' - JW, April 2005