Software Liability [Was Re: [LINK] Oracle & Open Source]

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Sun Aug 6 08:17:44 AEST 2006

>steve jenkin wrote:
>>  d) MSFT has *amazing* potential legal liabilities, EULA
>>     non-withstanding, for its poor O/S reliability and shallow security.
>>     If ACCC declared their O/S's fail under the TPA (not merchantable
>>     quality), they're gone - very fast.

Software has never been goods for the purposes of the Trade Practices
Act (although where software is intrinsic to a good - e.g. your
car-engine - that probably doesn't remove the good from public
liability law).

Moreover, corporations who have suffered harm as a result of the many
inadequacies of software produced by other parties (particularly but
not only Microsoft) have been extraordinarily reticent in pursuing
other courses of action, such as the 'merchantable quality'
provisions of contract law.

Even if the Law Reform Commission's report on Product Liability, back
in 1988, had ever been acted on, software probably *still* wouldn't
be subject to product liability law:
http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/SOS/PaperLiaby.html

[IANAL, and I haven't revisited this since 1988.  Gawd I feel old]

--
Roger Clarke                  http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916

Visiting Professor in Info Science & Eng  Australian National University
Visiting Professor in the eCommerce Program      University of Hong Kong