[LINK] Engadget: German hackers clone RFID e-passports

Geoffrey Ramadan gramadan at umd.com.au
Sun Aug 6 14:13:02 AEST 2006

Adam

Not necessarily.

1) e-Passports are based on ISO 14443 standard. "Anti-collection"
mechanism are part of this standard. So an ISO 14443 compliant reader,
can read multiple tags.

2) However, if two tags are very close to each other (eg. stacked), then
the will not read.

3) e-Passports include a metal foil inside the cover, so they cannot be
read anyway, when they are closed.

4) I also agree with Kim's view, that this is not a "big story" there is
nothing magical about reading e-Passports, nor writing to RFID chips. As
mentioned, the air-interface is based on international open standards
ISO 14443. Also the data format of the e-Passport is also well documented.
http://www.icao.int/mrtd/Home/Index.cfm
<mailto:customercare at realestate.com.au>

5) What the ISO 14443 standard does not define, is what or how the data
is used. E-Passports include a "digital signature" which can be verified
via PKI. I also believe Biometric data may include digital watermarks.

6) Though the Biometric image is not encrypted, I don't see potential
copying and falsifying documents as an issue. Not only is a new "secure"
document introduced via the e-Passport (and visa) but also new processes
are put in place. If you look a the ICAO documents you will notice a
typical business process for validating e-Passports includes:
- checking digital signature
- checking other security features.
- checking watch list (biometric database)
- biometric verification.

That is checking Biometric data with the actual person, and against a
database of both valid people and blacklists.

Assuming fraudsters can change the Biometric image and provide the
correct Digital Signature, then their own Biometric information could
give them away (even later).

Reg
Geoffrey Ramadan B.E.(Elec)
Chairman, Automatic Data Capture Association (www.adca.com.au)