Software Business Models/Governance Frameworks Re: [LINK] Is free software “communist”? Maybe yes...

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Mon Aug 7 12:14:15 AEST 2006

Whether we need to tag Open Source/Free Software with any outmoded
political frameworks, in my view is not really worth debating.

However, the subject of open source business models/governance is worth
discussing and I am contemplating a paper on the subject so, would be
interested in links references/comments...those via link will be
referenced via a link to the archives. Offlist comments would be welcome
but I would appreciate it if the author indicates whether they are happy
to be quoted or not.

the issues as I see it for commercial/FOSS software

a)Support
b)Functionality
c)Compatibility/Interoperability
d)Reliability/Robustness of software
e)Impact on non-FOSS software business models
f)Whether the customer or supplier sets the agenda
g)Ownership of software being developed for example, for a particular
government agencies
h)IP issues between customer and supplier
i)Risks of suppliers/service providers fizzle out (ie business viability
of single source proprietary software vs FOSS business model eg APACHE
Meritocracy)

...just jumping in on the analagies (?sp) - cars manufacturers are now
moving into the servicing cars area into a similar way that Hardware
companies moved into software and services...

...who sets the rules for the car safety, road rules etc...not the car
manufacturers

Marghanita

PS heard a snippet where they are apparently now discussing confusionism
and communism in China, which would lead to:
budhism and communism in Vietnam,
Catholiscism and Communism in Cuba
Christianity (via Thomas the Appostle), Democracy and Communism in Kerala
Hinduism, Democracy and Communism in Bengal
and Islam and Communism in some of the former Soviet Union states.

Kim Holburn wrote:
> For the wing nut:
>
> Is free software “communist”? Maybe yes...
> http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/node/1707
> And some interesting discussion of it (unusual for digg)
> http://digg.com/software/Is_free_software_communist_Maybe_yes
<snip>

for those who wish to pursue the topic of communism vs capitalism
perhaps you should form a theatre party to
...Now That Communism is Dead, My Life Feels Empty
Stephen Dunne, reviewer
July 18, 2006
<http://www.smh.com.au/news/arts-reviews/now-that-communism-is-dead-my-life-feels-empty/2006/07/18/1153166358700.html>
--