[LINK] RFI: P2P Traffic 2005-06

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Mon Aug 7 18:57:49 AEST 2006

At 08:22 AM 7/08/2006, rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au wrote:
>The third thought is this: once the user traffic has passed a given
>boundary (let's call it the point of ingress), isn't all traffic "peer to
>peer"? The definition being sought by marketers isn't a definition of
>"Internet traffic" but "access network traffic"...
>
>Random musings which may be shredded at will...
>
>RC

I'll bite. I've been having a go on Whirlpool about p2p hogs as they whinge
so much about poor performance of their connections (pirating stuff). In
fact the cynical comment when they get too vocal is that *of course* they
are just trying to get Linux distros. The funny reply then is the whinger
asking: what's a Linux distro? -- or -- God, I can't get my copy of xxxx tv
program, what ever will I do!?!

As a result I tried to do a bit of copyright education (long story), but
ended up with the thread being moved into the p2p forum with the Thread
title: Illegal downloading under Australian law. It has come up in the top
20-30 most read threads in all of whirlpool for about a week, with over
2100 views. Now the top thread on that forum over the past two days is:
RIAA Sues Limewire (one of the p2p distribution clients).

It's all an interesting insight into the hardcore p2p users.  The link is:
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-threads.cfm?f=87 is you want to have a
look.

Jan

Jan Whitaker
JLWhitaker Associates, Melbourne Victoria
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
personal: http://www.janwhitaker.com/personal/
commentary: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/

'Seed planting is often the most important step. Without the seed, there is
no plant.' - JW, April 2005