Fwd: [LINK] Region Locked DVD Drives Illegal?

Robin Stephens robinstephens at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 13:41:03 AEST 2006

On 8/21/06, George Bray <georgebray at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've asked the ACCC for guidance, but does anyone know whether it's
> legal to sell a computer with a region-locked DVD drive in Australia?
> I was under the impression that Prof. Fels last hurrah was to strike
> this practice down.

Simplification:

Parallel import is expressly allowed in Aus.
Region locking is in conflict with laws allowing parallel import.
The high court ruled that parallel import laws get priority over end
user licence agreements that prevent modification of a device to get
around region locking.
This came about because of a court case involving mod chipping of Playstations.

Robin