[LINK] Remote laptop detection

Craig Sanders cas at taz.net.au
Wed Aug 23 16:26:58 AEST 2006

On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 04:09:10PM +1000, Ivan Trundle wrote:
> On 23/08/2006, at 3:34 PM, Craig Sanders wrote:
> > lots of laptops have wireless LAN interfaces built in these days.
> > that would be easy to detect.
>
> Easy? - Maybe when the laptop was running, but if the laptop was in
> 'sleep' mode? (I know about 'wake on LAN activity' etc, although have
> not been able to wake a sleeping Mac laptop when the lid is closed,
> regardless of this option).
>
> Same applies for bluetooth. I'm not aware that a bluetooth signal is
> broadcast when in sleep mode.
>
> However, do Windows laptops broadcast wifi and bluetooth details even
> when asleep/lid closed?

no idea.  you asked for speculation, so i came up with some.

Wireless LAN and wake-on-lan together could do it, though. for it to
work, the wireless card has to listen for and respond to a wake-up
packet while the machine is in sleep mode.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas at taz.net.au>           (part time cyborg)