[LINK] Surveillance in extremis

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Mon Aug 28 10:26:28 AEST 2006

Jan Whitaker wrote:
> At 11:34 AM 24/08/2006, Geoff Ramadan wrote:
>
>>> because that is what happened to me, despite the fact that I still
>>> don't know what was in it that was bad or even if it was something I
>>> put in the bin since they are often stuffed with junk from stupid
>>> neighbours, not me.
>>

>> I would have thought that they would have given you the "photographic
>> evidence".... if not it would be interesting to see if they can
>> provide it.
>

> Overkill. All I needed was the sticker as a reminder when I went back to
> the bin the next time. I wasn't denied the service, although if there
> had been continued breaches, they could I suppose. then I might ask for
> evidence. But even then, what proof would I have that it wasn't me who
> put the stuff in the bin overnight? Is there an expectation that people
> police their bins before the collectors come around at 6am? What lunacy!

stick to the facts Ma'am...my source on the ground in Ryde has passed on
a copy of the local paper

- The Weekly Times.
on Page 8, on 23 August 2006 there is an article entitled...
'Bugged Bins Claim: "Just Garbage"'

"Some residents, including Ryde MP John Watkins, are seeing red..."

"According to Ryde City Mayor clr Ivan Petch, the electronic tags were
part of a monitoring system installed to gather informaiton on a
suburb-by-suburb basis on the amount of waste being collected."

"Under our new waste cntract we are only paying the contractor on every
bin collected. The electronic tags only store the numbe of the bin,
which we previously stamped on the outside. Now we can electronically
monitor which bins are being emptied or not," Mayor Petch said.

Marghanita
--
Marghanita da Cruz
Ramin Communications