Governance of ICT Re: [LINK] Surveillance in extremis

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Wed Aug 30 08:33:56 AEST 2006

<snip>
>> I've known RFID to be used well in libraries for reshelving books.
>> Fantastic application! But when they begin to be used for tracking
>> people and their domestic activities, I put my foot down. Councils
>> aren't exempt from common decency, accountability, and respect for the
>> people who put them in office. And that is what I'm afraid is a
>> tendency in too many communities/governments.
>
> This current debacle also demonstrates how important it is to introduce
> new technology correctly. If they had been following the early lesson in
> the introduction of RFID in the supply chain, and the uproar it created
> (and still does) they could have saved themselves a lot of grief.
<snip>
Transparency and Performance Indiactors would be useful. The reality is
that most elected councillors do the job part time. They have limited
sklls and the Council employees run rings around them.

While there is much talk of governance, you will find it is infact
extremely poor....the reality is that the Mayor of Ryde was probably as
clueless about the implications of the RFID in the bins as his
constituent, the deputy premier - though you would expect the latter to
be more knowledgeable.

When I recently, tried to borrow a book from the local library, they
wanted my email address, mobile phone number...I asked them why and they
said they had a new computer system. This reassured me and I  chose not
to provide them.

Marghanita
--
Marghanita da Cruz