[LINK] Guidelines for Digital Repositories, Canberra, 27 July

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Fri Jul 21 11:36:40 AEST 2006

On 2006 Jul 21, at 11:24 AM, Karl Auer wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-07-21 at 10:29 +1000, Kim Holburn wrote:
>> As I understand it in general, digital archiving usually involves
>> uncompressed data with all the bits present.  While you might include
>> compressed versions the base data is uncompressed.
>
> The problem is that compression ain't compression.

Yes but that's not the only problem.  The other problem from a
archiving point of view is that over a long time you may lose the odd
bit.  In an uncompressed file you just lose that odd bit and that's
that but in a compressed file you are quite likely to lose all the
data after the lost bit.

--
Kim Holburn
Network Consultant