[LINK] re: Programming Oz AWACS, 19 July, Canberra

brd at iimetro.com.au brd at iimetro.com.au
Wed Jul 26 12:07:53 AEST 2006

Quoting Tom Worthington <Tom.Worthington at tomw.net.au>:

> I wrote 19 Jul 2006
>> Processes Used to Manage and Control Development of Software on a
>> Very Large Multinational Development Project by Stuart Garrett,
>> Defence Materiel Organisation ...
>
> For those who missed Stuart's talk, there is an older version of the
> slides online at
> <http://www.psmsc.com/UG2003/Presentations/06GarrettFinal.pdf>. He
> may be doing a repeat performance to a management school shortly.
>
> I am putting some thoughts on this for a talk next week on
> "Enterprise Systems: Build or Buy is No Longer the Question", so
> comments would be welcome:
> <http://www.tomw.net.au/technology/it/enterprise/>.
>
> The idea is that you have to decide how much you are going to
> cooperate with other organizations in building and running your IT
> system. The metrics, project management methodologies, open source
> and the like are then just tools to manage the relationship.

My advice is to be very careful drawing parallels between a real-time control
system and an enterprise IT system. The nature of the data that they
manage and
process is very different.

Having said that the data is different, I am struck by the lack of
attention to
the data (system data, not project data) in both documents.

I would have thought that software metrics should include something on data
quality (architectures, models and the accuracy of the data itself).
Similarly,
with Tom's ANU example, there is nothing said about the data that the
ANU want's
to manage.

To me, this is the paradox of the IT industry, there is a lot of attention to
the technology, not a lot to the information.

--
Regards
brd

Bernard Robertson-Dunn