[LINK] RUF Dual Mode transport system.

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Thu Jun 1 10:42:16 EST 2006

On 2006 May 31, at 12:54 PM, Tom Worthington wrote:
> At 11:07 AM 5/31/2006, Karl Auer wrote:
>> ... People WILL NOT plan ordinary trips. ...
>
> Perhaps Canberra is different, but on Tuesday I saw a whole lot of
> people planning to catch the number 33 bus from Civic. I know they
> were planning to catch it as they turned up at the bus stop just
> before the bus was due and started looking annoyed just after it
> was due but had not arrived.  ;-)

Yeah, that's how you have to do it in Canberra.  Need I add, because
we have a stuffed public transport system.

> My plan was only formulated when I walked up to the bus stop a few
> minutes before. The next bus was not due for ten minutes so I went
> and borrowed a book from the library while waiting. I wouldn't have
> minded the bus being late if the system had SMSed me in the library
> to tell me and offered a discounted reserved seat 15 minutes later.
>
>> Zurich solved it by researching how long people would wait if they
>> had no idea when the next tram would come - then setting the time
>> between trams to half that. It works extremely well. ...
>
> That is the way a "metro" works: without a timetable but with
> frequent services. But it only works where you have a high
> population density. You couldn't run it, for example, to an outer
> Canberra suburb, or even rural India <http://www.tomw.net.au/travel/
> india.shtml>.

Lots of small buses or even car sized buses?  I see so many huge
empty buses driving around Canberra, seems such a waste.

--
Kim Holburn
Network Consultant

When immigration is outlawed, only criminals will immigrate.
                -- http://angry-economist.russnelson.com/