[LINK] 'RIM victim despair'

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Tue Sep 5 08:09:45 AEST 2006

I rarely look at Letters to the Editor, but for some reason Letter 2
in OzIT caught my eye this morning:
http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,20351092%5E15425%5E%5Enbv%5E15309,00.html

The content is familiar.  The punchline is the signatory.

RIM victim despair

AS a pair gain/RIM victim I can only despair of any access to true
broadband - the information lifeblood of a modern society - at a
reasonable price (PM pushes go on T3, August 25).

Unless we get a real Universal Broadband Service Obligation, victims
like me could also be asked by Telstra to pay about $500 a month
(yes, $500) for an 800Kbps (not even ADSL) service by (wait for it)
satellite!

By the way, I'm not out there in the "country", I'm in the
strong-growth regional area of the Gold Coast.

What commercial incentive will the sold-down Telstra have to fix up
that 1990s mess now, and provide ADSL-2 type service at a price
competitive with that available to "lucky Australians?"

- Bill Caelli, Gaven, Qld

In case you miss the irony, Bill has been highly active in data comms
(esp. security) for the last several decades, and has FACS and OA for
it (not to mention an IFIP Silver Core, and probably a few Apple
Cores as well):
http://www.e-health.qut.edu.au/about/caelli.jsp

--
Roger Clarke                  http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916

Visiting Professor in Info Science & Eng  Australian National University
Visiting Professor in the eCommerce Program      University of Hong Kong