[LINK] Moved to Linux

Craig Sanders cas at taz.net.au
Mon Sep 11 15:14:16 AEST 2006

On Mon, Sep 11, 2006 at 01:01:08PM +1000, Eleanor Lister wrote:
> Richard Chirgwin wrote:
> >- Linspire instead of Ubuntu: for the drivers. The primary user of
> >this machine is my wife; she mostly uses it for work, and so my own
> >"comfort zone" is that I don't have to try and diagnose "something
> >isn't working" over the phone.
>
> i just don't get this.   i bought a new canon scanner recently, and the
> sales-critter tried to tell me that "Canon don't support Linux" which
> made me laugh ... "Dear boy" I murmured "it's whether Linux supports
> Canon that matters - Canon's attitude is irrelevant".

OTOH, the manufacturer can make it a lot easier to support their
products if they provide technical documentation either publicly or just
to those who want to write drivers. canon don't...so canon printers are
not at all well supported in linux.

> i got the scanner home, unpacked it, threw the Windoze (yuck, spew) CD
> in the round filing cabinet, and plugged it in.

that might be true for scanners, but it's certainly not true for canon
printers.

very few of them are supported at all, and none of them are well
supported - at best there is minimal support for some of the features.

if you run linux, canon printers are NOT recommended at all. avoid.

printers recommended for use with linux:  HP, Epson, anything
postscript.  anything that does PCL is fine too.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas at taz.net.au>           (part time cyborg)