[LINK] Moved to Linux

Adam Todd link at todd.inoz.com
Tue Sep 12 09:12:51 AEST 2006

At 06:01 PM 11/09/2006, Glen Turner wrote:
>Howard Lowndes wrote:
>
>>not if you want to keep your sanity or are really determined to keep your
>>workstations locked down - and don't start about "think about the users
>>and their personal quirks", workstations are tools to get a job done, not
>>toys to tinker with.
>
>Interestingly, I'm seeing this attitude around the place
>now -- "I'm a contractor/student/consultant, it's my laptop,
>keep your hands off. The network and printing just work off
>my ADSL router at home, so I can't understand why you mob
>can't do the same".

Isn't that where you plug in your lap top on the same connection, print a
page and say "Well mine works, must be something wring with your toy,
perhaps you had better take it back to Hardly Normal and get them to fix it
for you."

>In that world view computers aren't just tools for work.
>They're toys too.

A funny incident when I was in France.  The AFC has an Apple Airport in the
office there for everyone to lob up and use.  I brought in two laptops, a
PC and an Apple.  THe weight of my life I tell you.

Anyway, the loverly lady set up the passwords on both machines.

The funniest thing.  The APPLE never connected to the Apple Airport, it
just refused, none, natta ziltch.

But my PC has no problems, and it had no problems giving me and my travel
partners an additional wireless private LAN that we used to route via my PC
to the Apple Airport and to the big bad Internet.

I just didn't have the time, and nor was I going to occupy the AFC's "tech"
to try and sort out the apple as I had a working solution.

I must admit, when people saw us using our own private wireless LAN and a
100mbps portable cabled LAN setting up "office" on the balcony there were
very envious looks!