[LINK] Environmental impact of web versus print

Ivan Trundle ivan at itrundle.com
Wed Sep 27 13:12:52 AEST 2006

On 27/09/2006, at 12:40 PM, Karl Auer wrote:

> That's an empirical result, not an assumption - good. Was there any
> correlation between stated comfort and amount of eye movement? What
> about eye movement over time - less as people tired, or more? You
> imply
> that the old research found more eye movement with sans-serif than
> with
> serif (which is what I would expect given the lesser amount of
> redundancy in sans-serif). You'd kind of expect to get more eye
> movement
> as the reader tired (and less accurate eye movement).
>
> Sorry to be picky, but we live in an age of bad research and piss-poor
> interpretation of same. It's worth being precise.

We could get pickier still - what's any of this to do with
'readability'? More to the point, what's 'readability' to do with the
discussion of what is comprehended? Why is redundancy in character
perception needed? There's some good stuff in here, but we're way off-
topic. But I'll persist, if only to be shot down in flames later...

Serif fonts were essential to comprehension when print and paper
quality was poor. Redundancy in comprehension of the characters was
vital to making any sense at all. When pixels arrived, serifs more
often than not simply got in the way. And in very small print, they
are a positive hinderance. But to non-paper materials: check most
mobile phones, iPods, and other small devices with any kind of
display. Why do the majority of them use sans-serif? Sure, it all
sprang about from difficulties in representing serifs in a limited
display model, but nonetheless, this is now the norm for many.

I wonder how businesses with style guides manage: do any of them
dictate a serif font for print, and a sans-serif font for web?

iT