[LINK] Microsoft is dead

Alastair Rankine arsptr at internode.on.net
Tue Apr 10 20:55:12 AEST 2007

On 07/04/2007, at 5:44 PM, Kim Holburn wrote:

> Microsoft is dead:
> http://www.paulgraham.com/microsoft.html

And the followup:

http://www.paulgraham.com/cliffsnotes.html

> When I wrote that Microsoft was dead, I didn't mean it literally. I
> couldn't have. Companies aren't alive, so they can't die.
>
> In fact "Microsoft is Dead" was what we in the trade call a
> metaphor. I meant something else. Over the last couple days there
> has been some disagreement about what I meant. Some people who were
> scandalized by the essay convinced themselves I meant something
> rather stupid: that Microsoft is about to go out of business. This
> they diligently refuted.

This is what we in the trade call patronising.

I'm sorry to vent on you Linkers, but however sympathetic I am to
some of Graham's opinions I still find his tone incredibly
condescending. Those of us who made the huge leap from "Microsoft is
dead" to "Microsoft will go out of business" are apparently stupid,
or at least inclined to making stupid interpretations. Dog forbid
that Graham didn't actually express himself clearly.