[LINK] Assault on Consumer Protection on the Net

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Thu Apr 12 13:09:18 AEST 2007

At 12:00 +1000 12/4/07, Howard Lowndes wrote:
http://www.asic.gov.au/asic/asic.nsf/byheadline/Review+of+the+Electronic+Funds+Transfer+Code+of+Conduct+2007?openDocument

>I went to this site and found approx 6 submissions, but none were
>submissions from any industry players and hence there is no
>demonstration of the assertions made below.  Where are the industry
>submissions that are encouraging change to the EFT?

They were submitted prior to the preparation of the consultation
paper, and are reflected in the text of that document.

It would also appear that the submissions from industry may have been
comments made at meetings, rather than formal submissions supported
by evidence, analysis and/or reasoned argument.

It's common practice among industry associations to avoid the
information that they provide to regulators becoming public - and
most regulators have been sufficiently captured by the organisations
that they're supposed to be regulating that they go along with this
subterfuge.

For that reason, my letter to ASIC submitting the paper included this:

"I note that your announcement pages failed to adopt the norm of
declaring that all submissions will be made publicly available unless
formally requested otherwise, and encouraging all persons and
organisations making submissions to request suppression of
information only where it is clearly justifiable, and structuring
their submissions so that the information that it is requested be
suppressed is separate from the publishable information.

"I urge that the Review adopt the above policy, notwithstanding the
fact that it was not pre-advertised.

"I further request your advice in relation to whether any submissions
have been received, or representations made that are of the nature of
submissions to the Review, that are not being placed on the site."

--
Roger Clarke                  http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916

Visiting Professor in Info Science & Eng  Australian National University
Visiting Professor in the eCommerce Program      University of Hong Kong