[LINK] Susan Crawford: 'Why I Voted For XXX'

Adam Todd link at todd.inoz.com
Thu Apr 19 10:10:20 AEST 2007

At 11:36 AM 18/04/2007, Roger Clarke wrote:
>Why I Voted For XXX
>http://scrawford.blogware.com/blog/_archives/2007/3/30/2845638.html
>
>The ICANN Board voted today 9-5, with Paul Twomey abstaining, to reject a
>proposal to open .xxx.  This is my statement in connection with that
>vote.  I found the resolution adopted by the Board (rejecting xxx) both
>weak and unprincipled.
>
>I am troubled by the path the Board has followed on this issue since I
>joined the Board in December of 2005.  I would like to make two
>points.  First, ICANN only creates problems for itself

Gee isn't that what I said at IFWP in Singapore in 1998.  Where Paul Twomey
said whilst staring right at me and down the barrel of my camera "I have
learned that i can't control this [Adam] from here and will be taking back
to my government that we have to find another way."

2 weeks later AJ was kidnapped.  I displayed pictures of AJ in one of the
debates stating that "This child, my child, is the future of the Internet
and the Domain Name System.  What we do here today, determines what he can
do tomorrow."

>when it acts in an ad hoc fashion in response to political pressures.

Strangely this problem has only occurred since politically motivated people
entered into ICANN, which was pretty much from the start.

>Second, ICANN should take itself seriously as a private governance institution

ICANN is NOT a Governance.  It is suppose to be a body of people
representing the Providers, the Network Operators, the Users and the
Registrants about domain name management.

That is NOT a governance.

>with a limited mandate and should resist efforts by governments to veto
>what it does.

Which government?  Is there only one?