[LINK] News: 'New mobile phones will double as credit cards'

Adam Todd link at todd.inoz.com
Sun Apr 29 16:47:06 AEST 2007

At 03:06 PM 29/04/2007, Kim Holburn wrote:
>See, I reckon $33 a month, which is way more than I have ever paid a
>phone company for a mobile phone is a rip-off.

It's cheaper than my landline.  Landline $32.95 a month, plus call
costs on top of that, rarely below $40.00 - that's not many calls!

I'd love a cheaper monthly fee, but I'm not going to get 300 minutes
of free calls, and 30 cent calls to all lands lines for up to ten minutes.

I only upped from $22 a month to $33 a month to take advantage of the
lower per minute charges, so my volume of calls is higher now than on
the $22, but I still don't use all the minimum fee all the time.  I try though!

>You admitted in one of your emails that "you rarely ever use all all
>of that" that you're paying for.

Yes.

I must say too, and I've said it before, I'm pretty impressed with
the services and customer support of '3' even if the call centre is
in India.  (They have a note on my account saying I know this so they
don't bull* me!)

>I'm glad you're not confused.

(smile)

>What about people who don't know much about technology - not to
>mention people who just don't know much?

I think the technology is a side issue.  I think people get confused
over "how much" and "how often."

Then again, I watch people subscribing to services that charge then
$4 a day and they have no hesitation in doing it.

So I think a lot of the confusion is more the fact that it's not
"cash out of the pocket today" and a credit issue, than it is not knowing.

Sure there are some people who are swindled totally. Look at One.Tel
(still in the Supreme Court I notice) where they made contracts that
weren't even binding and then pursued people over them.

I think I was one of very few who contested the "terminated" contract and won.

Still, some phone companies are good, some are not.  Some have great
communications and others are bloody awful.

At the end of the day, it's the user who has to be responsible.

The Dog didn't make the phone calls!

Buying a car is far more difficult than buying a phone and plan.  If
people can't handle a phone account, they have little hope of
handling a car and loan.  (Then again, many people can't handle 48
month interest free either.)