[LINK] Take the infrastructure back [Was: Friday funny a little early]

Lea de Groot lealink at viking.org.au
Mon Aug 6 11:26:01 AEST 2007

On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 09:57:35 +1000, Adam Todd wrote:
> (Except me, I didn't cast a vote in the last Fed Election, there
> wasn't anyone I could vote for with the confidence of being
> represented and my vote should I have cast it would have made no
> difference.)

Well, really, you should have attended the polling booth anyway and
voted informally.
Not marked the ballot in any way that could have been interpreted as a
vote and written on it what you thought of the candidates.

Everyone (well, perhaps not everyone here ;)) thinks an e-voting system
will sing and dance, but it will lose an important facet of the current
paper system - Human scrutineers.
These people not only check that the vote is being counted correctly
but also view the physical ballots, and will see a trend such as 'No
Dams', etc and will report back to their party (because the majority
are from a party) on what The Peepul want.

See, there is a point to voting informally.
Although I can almost always find someone I want to vote against :)

Lea
--
Lea de Groot
Brissie