[LINK] re: Australian consultation on proposed OOXML standard

Tom Worthington Tom.Worthington at tomw.net.au
Tue Aug 7 12:27:56 AEST 2007

I wrote Fri, 03 Aug 2007 09:01:53 +1000:
>... I had a telephone call from SA on Wednesday
>to say that there was no committee considering
>OOXML. Instead SA are hosting a forum on the
>proposed Draft International Standard ISO/IEC
>29500, "Information technology - Office Open XML
>file formats" standard in Sydney on 9 August. ...

SA sent an agenda for the meeting. This was very
useful in clarifying the process SA is using. I
couldn't find these details on the SA web site so here are some excerpts:

---
... The European Computer Manufactures'
Association International (Ecma International)
adopted and published the Microsoft Open Office
XML specification as ECMA 376 late in 2006. Ecma
approached ISO/IEC JTC1, the international
standards organisation for information
technology, seeking to use the fast track process
to elevate its standard to International Standard
status late in 2006, as per its recognised status
as a Publicly Available Specification (PAS)
submitter. The JTC1 enquiry process opened on 1
January 2007, for a 30 day period.

In accordance with the JTC1 Directives (their
process rules) Member countries were asked to
list any apparent contradictions with existing
standards (including ISO/IEC 26300: Information
technology - Open Document Format for Office
Applications (OpenDocument)). Some 19 countries
did this, including Australia. The Standards
Australia Communications, IT and e-Commerce
(CITeC) Standards Sector Board (SSB) developed
and approved Australia’s contribution.

ECMA provided a response to all contradictions
raised and subsequently JTC1 made the document
available as ISO/IEC DIS 29500 Information
technology - Office Open XML file formats
standard for actual balloting by the ISO/IEC member nations.

PROCESS

As a Participating Member of JTC1, Australia has
an obligation to vote on this document. The options open are:

     * Approve
     * Approve with comment
     * Abstain
     * Disapprove with comment (disapproval of
the DIS for technical reasons to be stated, with
proposals for changes that would make the
document acceptable (acceptance of these
proposals shall be referred to the NB concerned
for confirmation that the vote can be changed to approval).

This contribution will be approved in advance by
the CITeC Standards Sector Board by consensus.

The final vote will be submitted by Standards Australia by 2 September 2007.

PURPOSE OF THIS MEETING

The purpose of this meeting is to provide a forum
for discussion by interested parties to advise
Standards Australia in development of its
submission for approval by the CITeC Standards Sector Board.

Invitees to this meeting include:

     * Members of Standards Australia’s committees:
           o IT-004 Geographical Information Systems
           o IT-015 Software & Systems Engineering
           o IT-019 Computer Applications – Information & Documentation
           o IT-027 Data Management & Interchange
           o IT-031 Computer Modelling and Simulation
     * Members of the CITeC SSB
     * Interested parties who have submitted
comments since the beginning of the initial
comment period in January 2007, by e-mail or letter.

Participants are invited to contribute their
comments in writing following the forum by 21
August 2007 to ensure that they are considered in
development of the submission to the CITeC SSB.

CONSIDERATIONS TO NOTE

Standards Australia is recognised by the
Government as Australia’s peak standards body. It
develops Australian Standards® of public benefit
and national interest and supports excellence in
design and innovation through the Australian Design Awards.

Standards Australia is Australia’s representative
on the International Organization for
Standardization [ISO], the International
Electrotechnical Commission [IEC], and the
Pacific Area Standards Congress [PASC].

Participation in international committee work is
dependent on our capacity to consult and respond
through the Australian committee structure. The
CITeC Standards Sector Board is responsible for this vote.

This forum is being conducted by Standards
Australia as a courtesy to stakeholders. It is an
extraordinary meeting that we are not required to
hold, but do so to provide an open process. We
appreciate your attendance and expect that you
appreciate our effort in making this opportunity available to you.

Standards Australia values its vote as a
participating member of all international
committees, and does not exercise it
injudiciously. We provide considered Australian
viewpoints that are beneficial to Australian
stakeholders, including industry, government,
academia and the general community, through the
facilitation of trade and the inclusion of clear
Australian requirements in international standards.

The JTC1 process has established that the
ECMA-376 document is not contradictory to
existing standards and ECMA has responded to a
number of technical considerations raised in the
initial consultation period. This forum is not to
debate the merits of the JTC1 decision making
process or the validity of the ECMA response.

While technical comments are welcomed, it would
be entirely counter productive to use this forum
to reiterate technical comments that have already
been raised and are likely to be debated in every
JTC1 member body in some form.

We are looking for creative, positive
contributions that emphasise our commitment to
representing truly Australian views to the international community.

To ensure the best outcome for the meeting, we
ask you to note the guidelines and agenda below.

GUIDELINES

• Standards Australia will document the meeting
and will share with attendees/interested parties
not able to attend. Discussion will not be
recorded, in line with our general committee meeting policies.

• When general discussion commences, please limit
your contribution to no more than five minutes.

• Speakers should be allowed to complete
presentations, prior to inviting questions or
comments. Responses, including questions, should
be raised through meeting chair.

• When individuals do comment, they should state
their name and organisational affiliation, if any.

• Respect others’ opinions.

AGENDA

10am Opening of the meeting and attendance (please sign attendance list)
10.10am Introduction - Standards Australia
10.30am Invited discussion openers
10.30 -10.40am General overview of the standards process
10.40 – 11.00am Objections to ISO/IEC adoption of DIS 29500
11.00 – 11.20am Case for ISO/IEC adoption of DIS 29500
11.20am 20 minute break
11.40am General Discussion
12.45pm Summary and next steps
1pm Close

Participants are invited to contribute their
comments in writing following the forum by 21
August 2007 to ensure that they are considered in
development of the submission to the CITeC Standards

Sector Board.

CONTACT

Please confirm attendance via e-mail to: michael.langdon (a) standards.org.au
---

Tom Worthington FACS HLM tom.worthington at tomw.net.au Ph: 0419 496150
Director, Tomw Communications Pty Ltd            ABN: 17 088 714 309
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617                http://www.tomw.net.au/
Visiting Fellow, ANU      Blog: http://www.tomw.net.au/blog/atom.xml