[LINK] One Laptop per Child Doesn't Change the World

Adam Todd link at todd.inoz.com
Mon Dec 10 10:59:40 AEDT 2007

At 08:25 AM 10/12/2007, Bernard Robertson-Dunn wrote:
>http://www.pcmag.com/print_article2/0,1217,a=220845,00.asp
>
>Before you cheer for the good guys, ponder a few of these facts
>taken from a world hunger Web site. In the Asian, African, and Latin
>American countries, well over 500 million people are living in what
>the World Bank has called "absolute poverty." Every year, 15 million
>children die of hunger. For the price of one missile, a school full
>of hungry children could eat lunch every day for five years.
>Throughout the decade, more than 100 million children will die from
>illness and starvation.

Who cares about Poverty in other countries.

What about Poverty in our own country?

What about homeless families?

Oh sorry, they don't exist in Australia and if they do, the
government doesn't want to know.

See what the Government does here in seperate Dad and Mum and the
children and put them into hotels or caravan parks - hence "single
parents" therefore it can be said with assurance and honesty that
there are no HOMELESS families in Australia.

Sadly there are more than 20 families (Mum, Dad, children, uncles
aunties and any combination thereof) living in the caves around parts
of Sydney because they can't afford a $500,000 mortgage, or they keep
getting rejected from rentals because they have too big a family.

Fortunately we have a car :)  Although six of us living in a car and
a small trailer is a little cramped at times.

I do however think we have redefined poverty :)  We're still online :)

I think we need to take a serious look at our own backyard before we
start sticking our noes over the fence and looking at others.