FW: [LINK] IPv4 host density measured by ping

Daniel Rose drose at nla.gov.au
Thu Mar 1 15:12:30 AEDT 2007

There are, I'm told, an estimated 600 million hosts, so I suspect that
many many many also do not do this; especially outside the west.

My favourite example was a large subnet of dsl modems in india which not
only pinged but had the default telnet admin access left open.

I expect that corporate networks and web hosts will often not ping, but
that ISP hosts almost always will; I've never seen an adsl modem that
defaults to no ping response.