[LINK] Vista speech recognition

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Sat Mar 3 09:35:55 AEDT 2007

Alan L Tyree wrote:

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyLqUf4cdwc
>
> It's probably not fair, but who cares?

It's certainly entertaining. And you have to admit, the recognition
software has come a long way. It does exactly what it is told, and
seems quite good at picking up even quick clipped angry speech,
excepting one word: capital (ehheheheheheh).

I think what is needed is a better verbal escape mechanism to indicate
that "what follows is a command and not to be taken as my intention to
write". They seemed to get this right on Star Trek (!), so why is it
so hard here? Even something simple like the word "computer" meaning
"what follows is a command, not speech for transliteration".

I wonder how long it takes to train it? I found some of what this
perl geek said hard to understand. The computer did better than me
at times. Now the cynical bit: did MS licence this software from
IBM or similar?

cheers
rickw

--
Rick Welykochy || Praxis Services

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it
is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
      -- Arthur Schopenhauer