[LINK] Real use of flash drive lanyard

Adam Todd link at todd.inoz.com
Tue Mar 6 21:40:36 AEDT 2007

At 12:39 PM 6/03/2007, Tom Worthington wrote:
>In response I wrote a spoof press release about a fictional product:
>
>"... reinforced military specification  lanyard which can be attached to a
>flash drive, or other removable electronic memory device.  The other end
>... is secured to the uniform of the personnel responsible for the
>information. ... will first provide a warning if the user attempts to
>leave their workstation without removing the flash drive. If the user
>ignores the warning, the ... will automatically eject the flash drive from
>the workstation and retract it onto the user's uniform. ..."
><http://mailman.anu.edu.au/pipermail/link/2006-May/066731.html>.
>
>It turns out that this is a real use. My brother, Dr. John Worthington, is
>an Educational Consultant and Psychologist dealing with children
><http://www.jweducation.com/>. One problem is with some children leaving
>flash drives in PCs at school. So he suggested they be attached to a
>retractable reel, as used by staff for swipe cards

Actually Teller staff in many banks have their security cards attacked to
lanyards connected to them.  It's not all that uncommon.

I didn't read your original spoof, but as funny as it was, it's real.  Even
in Film Biz :)  My production partner and I wear our flash drives arond our
necks with all our viewable data on them.  We can swap data easily (well a
easy as copying) and always keep the data up to data.  No matter where we
go, as long as we have access to a computer with a USB, we can print data :)

Some DVD players, car DVD/TFT systems and other can now display data from a
USB flash drive - JPG PDF etc.  It's rather cool :)