[LINK] ASIO demands access to "access card" photo database

Adam Todd link at todd.inoz.com
Wed Mar 7 16:15:32 AEDT 2007

Here we go.

After being sold the line it's not an ID card.  That it won't carry data
that can't be accessed by anyone other than whom you desire and after all
the privacy issues have been tossed around;

In walks ASIO at the 11th hour saying "We'll have access to the photo
database."

But why?  Are terrorists collecting dole payments?

Honestly.

if this isn't an Orwelling Brig Brother ID card, then I don't know what
else it could be.

If we're going to have a Photo ID Access Card, then can we please get rid
of the passport, the drivers licence, the OH&S photo licence and just deal
with ONE government agency for ONE photo a year or every five years and ONE
fee for all these ID documents we seem to pay thousands a year for.

Isn't it better we give up our liberties and accept that ID fraud is going
to go through the roof with this access card now, than pretend we are
fighting some kind of winning privacy battle to protect ourselves?

And people say I'm dillusional!

ASIO wants access to smart card

    *
<http://www.smh.com.au/cgi-bin/common/popupEmailArticle.pl?path=/articles/2007/03/06/1173166697789.html>Email

    * Print
    *
<http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/asio-wants-access-to-smart-card/2007/03/06/1173166697789.html#>Normal
font
    *
<http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/asio-wants-access-to-smart-card/2007/03/06/1173166697789.html#>Large
font
March 7, 2007

Other related coverage

    *
<http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/government-defends-card-as-criticisms-grow/2007/03/02/1172338885156.html>Government
defends card as criticisms grow
AdvertisementAdvertisement

A DECLARATION by ASIO that it would not need a search warrant to gain
access to the national smart card photographic data base has put it at odds
with the government agency responsible for the cards.

The head of ASIO, Paul O'Sullivan, was grilled by Coalition senators
yesterday after telling a Senate committee the agency did not require a
warrant to demand information on the smart card's register, which is
expected to hold 16.5 million biometric photos of Australians.

But Patricia Scott, the secretary of the agency responsible for the card,
the Department of Human Services, disagreed. She said that after talks
between lawyers for ASIO and the department, ASIO could only ask her
department for access to the card and if refused would have to seek a
search warrant.

All Australian adults seeking welfare and Medicare payments will need an
"access card" by 2010, under the Government's $1.1 billion plan to
streamline services and to cut fraud.

The Government's denial that the system would turn into a de facto identity
card has came under more pressure, with the Australian Federal Police
seeking stronger powers to use the card photograph in investigations.

And senators have stepped up questioning about the need for a photograph on
the card, given that it would already be contained in the card's chip that
could be accessed by Government agencies.

Mark Metherell