[LINK] Real use of flash drive lanyard

Tom Worthington Tom.Worthington at tomw.net.au
Fri Mar 9 09:09:57 AEDT 2007

At 02:08 AM 7/03/2007, Adam Todd wrote:
>... Add in an RFID!  When the user moves out of range of the RFID
>detector, it logs them out, closes the flash and ejects it ...

My flash drive minding system was a little more basic than that
<http://www.tomw.net.au/blog/2007/03/real-uses-for-flash-drive-lanyards.html>.
The "warning" is a tug from the lanyard attached between the flash
drive and the user. The "automatic eject" is the lanyard pulling the
flash drive out of the socket. The mil spec lanyards are flexible
plastic molded as a large spring, strong enough to hold a handgun, so
the ejection process would be dramatic
<http://astore.amazon.com/usb-20/detail/B000J4G75E/>.  ;-)

Several people suggested wireless tracking devices for flash drives.
It turns out these are also used for children with behavioral
problems.  An alarm sounds when the child is more than a few paces
from the parent. This helps teach the child not to wader.

Simple systems are designed for tracking briefcases
<http://astore.amazon.com/usb-20/detail/B000BD9NKO/> but more complex
systems are specifically designed for tracking multiple children
<http://astore.amazon.com/usb-20/detail/B0002TPEE6/>. The latter look
a bit too much like tracking devices fitted to prisoners for my liking.

As more gadgets become available, will children be fitted out like
cyborgs, with cameras and microphones, so we can check what they are doing?

Tom Worthington FACS HLM tom.worthington at tomw.net.au Ph: 0419 496150
Director, Tomw Communications Pty Ltd            ABN: 17 088 714 309
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617                http://www.tomw.net.au/
Visiting Fellow, ANU      Blog: http://www.tomw.net.au/blog/atom.xml