[LINK] format irony

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Mon Mar 12 09:49:22 AEDT 2007

On 11/03/2007, at 3:33 PM, stephen at melbpc.org.au wrote:
>  Unimpressive that our 'Guidelines for Commonwealth Information Published
>  in Electronic Formats' <www.agimo.gov.au/information/publishing/formats>
>  is available from agimo as a large (or larger) PDF file only.

I did a quick scan to see whether the manner of publication of the
guidelines was inconsistent with its own recommendations.

But it doesn't appear that the 'Guidelines ... on Electronic Formats'
actually talk about appropriate choices among file-formats!

For example the string 'RFT' isn't found (except within 'portfolio').
And the segment on PDF on p.40 fails to address the key questions of
text-visibility for search, for voice-synthesis, and for
copy-and-paste.  (Lawyers, committed as they are to adversarial
approaches, are still getting away with sending the other side 'PDF
files' that are merely low-grade image-scans).

An update (or just addenda) to the '99 Guidelines would be a valuable
lead from AGIMO to other agencies, but also to the private sector.

At 8:36 +1100 12/3/07, Avi Miller wrote:
>Those guidelines were developed 7 years ago. Its not surprising (to
>me) that its only available in PDF format. 7 years ago, AGIMO didn't
>exist (and I suspect neither did NOIE -- I'm sure we were still
>working with OASITO in 2000). What is unimpressive is that they
>haven't been updated since, though.

What is currently AGIMO has existed continuously for at least 12 and
probably 15 years, as OGIT (Office for Govt IT, early '90s-'98), OGO
(Office for Govt Online, '98-'99), then NOIE (c. '99-'05).

Here's a trip down memory-lane:

--
Roger Clarke                  http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916

Visiting Professor in Info Science & Eng  Australian National University
Visiting Professor in the eCommerce Program      University of Hong Kong