[LINK] Access your areas

Craig Sanders cas at taz.net.au
Mon Mar 12 10:50:07 AEDT 2007

On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 09:51:45AM +1100, Karl Auer wrote:
> > * The Government says the card will not be compulsory, but people will
> > need it to claim Medicare, welfare and veterans' benefits.
>
> In short, it WILL be compulsory for a large number of Australians. Only
> the wealthy will in any practical sense be able to avoid having the
> card.

and not even them.

medicare is compulsory. you can't opt out of it just because you're
rich. you can choose not to benefit from it, but you can't choose not to
pay the medicare levy.

so, if medicare is compulsory then the access card is compulsory.

of course, the wealthy will be able to afford fake cards if they
need/want them. as will the criminals.

craig

ps: this msg is not to be taken as any kind of support for the idea that
medicare shouldn't be compulsory. it should be. I don't agree with the
punitive extra levy for high-income earners to force them into private
insurance, but a universal health care system needs to be compulsory to
work.

--
craig sanders <cas at taz.net.au>

BOFH excuse #307: