[LINK] format irony

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Mon Mar 12 16:43:16 AEDT 2007

At 09:49 AM 12/03/2007, Roger writes:

>> ... our 'Guidelines for Commonwealth Information Published
>> in Electronic Formats' www.agimo.gov.au/information/publishing/formats
>> is available from agimo as a large (or larger) PDF file only.
>
> I did a quick scan to see whether the manner of publication of the
> guidelines was inconsistent with its own recommendations. But it
> doesn't appear that the 'Guidelines ... on Electronic Formats' actually
> talk about appropriate choices among file-formats!

Hmm. Also, regards AGIMO being consistent with their own recommendations:

Section 3.2.2:

Q: Will your Internet audience need plug ins to experience your web site?

A: Provide direct links to the sites where the specific plug ins are
   available; for a non-technical audience, provide installation
   instructions as well.

Neither of which make an appearance on the current AGIMO website.

Overall, versions in html, rtf or just a mailed hard copy would be fine.

> For example the string 'RFT' isn't found (except within 'portfolio').
> And the segment on PDF on p.40 fails to address the key questions of
> text-visibility for search, for voice-synthesis, and for copy-and
> paste..
>
> An update (or just addenda) to the '99 Guidelines would be a valuable
> lead from AGIMO to other agencies, but also to the private sector.

Yes, Roger, Avi and Marghanita, seems we all agree, it isn't good enough.