[LINK] Dell and Linux

Martin Barry marty at supine.com
Thu Mar 15 12:57:29 AEDT 2007

$quoted_author = "Eleanor Lister" ;

> Martin Barry wrote:
> > $quoted_author = "sylvano" ;
> >
> >> Or flip it around, perhaps, and view it as Dell specifying the range of
> >> hardare spec's for the linux bundling they will supply and letting the
> >> different distro communities and organisations choosing to support the
> >> hardware configs.  "I'll have the Dell number 4, with the Red Hat sauce
> >> please..."
> >>

> > you've hit the nail on the head. the aims should be:
> >
> > a) work with component suppliers on Linux driver availability
> > b) build systems with only components with Linux drivers available
> > c) let the customer add the OS
>
> sure, but which Linux?

if they pay attention to a) & b) then it doesn't matter which distribution.

they can ship it sans-OS or with whatever distro they partner with but I can
buy it knowing that I can install whichever distro I like with zero
problems.

cheers
marty

--
"Nod.  Mindreading is a less useful skill than mindwriting, considering
 all the blank media on the hoof in every major city." - Anthony de Boer

alt.sysadmin.recovery - <e4j1g1$vaa$1 at sheepdip.leftmind.net>