[LINK] Govt agrees to delay smart card legislation

Bernard Robertson-Dunn brd at iimetro.com.au
Fri Mar 16 07:07:03 AEDT 2007

Govt agrees to delay smart card legislation
ABC News
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200703/s1873020.htm

The Federal Government has agreed to delay the first round of
legislation designed to introduce a high-tech access card for health and
welfare services.

A Senate inquiry recommended the move because it could not properly
assess the bill without seeing privacy and governance measures which
were to be included in future legislation.

The committee found the smart card's security features appear stronger
than the Medicare card, but it cannot be assumed it will not be
vulnerable to corruption and misuse.

Committee chairman, Liberal Senator Brett Mason, says all the issues
should be considered in a consolidated Bill.

"The aims of the access card, I think by all members of the committee
were supported, to facilitate access to welfare and to fight fraud," he
said.

"I think that everyone agrees that the Medicare card, its usefulness has
come and gone and that the system has to be upgraded and new technology
taken on board, now it's a matter of ironing out the detail to what's
the best system of doing that."

--

Regards
brd