[LINK] ISP's thrown $20 million bone by DCITA

Adam Todd link at todd.inoz.com
Sat Mar 17 13:13:32 AEDT 2007

You know what I find amazing about all of this.

Now that I have two children at very high comprehension levels and now both
using the Internet daily as part of their education and life skills, I'm
failing, as a parent, or as an Internet user, to see where all this "sexual
explicit" stuff is coming into the picture.

My boys haven't even had a glimps of such material, nor do they search for
it.  They know about and have a healthy attitude to nudity, they have a
basic concept and understanding of sex, after all, they have younger
sisters and have seen each birth.

In the past I've had young teen kids stay with us and use the
Internet.  Always the curious I observe form a distance.  None have every
searched for, or even accidentally come across porn or material that would
be even remotely considered unsuitable.  Although my view on games where
you blow things up, shoot things and crash things, puts them in the more
unsuitable than looking at sensual and erotic art, and understanding it.

Lets face it, kids today smashemup, blowemup and killemoff.  In the mind of
the child this is good, you get points.  But we keep telling them that sex
and erotica is bad.  Evil.  Horrible.

To me, it seems we've got this all wrong.  The Porn DVD industry sells $36
BILLION a year in DVD's.  Where as all the Hollywood/Mainstream Ticket
Sales and DVD's only amounts to $8.8 billion. ($4.2b & $4.6b)

I think I'd rather see people aroused with happy hormones, than aroused
with anger, death and destructive hormones.

Anyway, that aside, I'm yet to see any of my children "happen" across
porn.  We have no filters here.  Not interested.  The best filter is the
BRAIN filter.  If we start using technology to decide what is right and
wrong for us, then we are hypocritical in the extreme, whilst we should "No
Censorship" on one hand and "Gimme filters to protect me" on the other.

Then again, no one said most humans were intelligent.