[LINK] ISP's thrown $20 million bone by DCITA

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Sun Mar 18 15:28:54 AEDT 2007

Howard Lowndes wrote:

>> Regarding open source, an argument can me made that all publicly funded
>> software projects should be open source, since we are the ones paying for
>> them and thus should be able to benefit from the fruits of the project.
>

> Good argument, but it won't fly.  If the project is being undertaken by
> private industry then they won't be in it anyway, and if it's being done
> by academia then they need to lock it down so that they can sell it not
> give it away.

I don't care what academia or private industry *wants*. It's all about
who owns the intellectual property rights to a the fruits of a project.

Private contractor: the contract will inevitably state that all software
source codes become the property of the contractee, i.e. the gummint.

Academia: if a project is publicly funded, it is pretty simple to stipulate
that a precondition for funding is that the gummint (we the poeple) own
the IP.

All it takes it willpower. And probably a hint of legislation to get it
right.

In this neo-con user-pays post-911 terror-infested winner-takes-all world,
I doubt it will happen ;)

cheers
rickw