[LINK] Re: IAMEMS: Draft Resolution on Domain Tasting (and monitization) ICANN AtLarge Advisory Committee (ALAC)

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Mon Mar 19 21:14:34 AEDT 2007

Since the Blue Security incident I have been thinking that the
"internet" has in a number of ways been taken over by organised
crime.  Whatever your view is on what Blue security did, what it did
clearly worked and riled the people behind a lot of spamming and
scamming.  It showed up the fact that this stuff which we all try and
cope with every day is being run by powerful people and a lot of
money is involved.  The Blue Security incident highlighted the fact
that our basic DNS infrastructure is not all that secure.  Isn't it
one of ICANN's jobs to make sure the root DNS servers are secure and
resistant to a major DDOS not to mention DNS node servers?  What
happened to Blue Security's DNS servers and their registrars
shouldn't have caused the havoc it did.  Not to suggest technical
solutions here but perhaps if part of the registrar agreement was to
host secondaries for the other registrars this might have been
ameliorated.

I'd like to see ICANN to a better technical job in the current
rapidly changing security environment.  If ICANN doesn't do anything
then it will be governments who attempt it and this may just make the
situation a lot worse.

--
Kim Holburn
IT Network & Security Consultant