[LINK] RFI: Scroogle

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Wed Mar 21 22:01:59 AEDT 2007

I was about to whinge about my normally reliable Link Institute
colleagues having let me down.

A subscriber on the privacy list (while researching the deservedly
infamous Bagaric, the pro-torture Law Professor at Deakin) wrote:
>I can highly recommend scroogle for scraping away all the page one and
two gloop from google searches, including the increasingly annoying
wikipedia spam:  http://www.scroogle.org/

I thought to myself "Scroogle? Who?".

But there was indeed, in the whole of my (I think, complete) link
archives, a single notification, 3 years ago - copy below.

They're a straightforward-enough proxy / consolidator /
pseudonymiser.  Not difficult in principle, but a very useful
service, especially in view of this critique of 'a Google that knows
more about you':
http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/II/Gurgle0604.html#G-K
http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/II/Gurgle0604.html#Priv

Does anyone have the low-down on the service and the organisation,
and particularly on how they survive, with names named, and a P.O.
Box in San Antonio TX??

They're presumably tolerated (fly-on-wall at Google Board meeting:
'What's the readout on the credibility of our 'do no evil' myth if we
take them out?').  The trademark issues alone are problematical and
verrrry expensive, let alone breach of contract, and even (giggle)
copyright breach.