[LINK] Access Card registration process discussion paper

Tom Worthington Tom.Worthington at tomw.net.au
Sun Mar 25 13:50:39 AEST 2007

At 01:13 PM 25/03/2007, Jan Whitaker wrote:
>At 12:58 PM 24/03/2007, Tom Worthington wrote:
>>BACKGROUND ...
>
>... Half of these sentences make absolutely no sense. ...

Sorry, somehow I lost half of each sentence. Should have been:

---
Registration is one of the key elements of the Australian
Government's proposed health and social services Access Card scheme.
It is the process by which Australians become part of the scheme by
having their personal data entered on the Register (formerly known as
the Secure Customer Registration Service), receive their Access Card
and thereafter access the benefits which are provided by the
government's participating agencies (Medicare, Centrelink, the
Departments of Human Services and Veteran's Affairs).

The Register is established by Division 3 of the Bill. It is part of
the background to discussing registration.

It should be noted that the Government has not yet made a formal
decision on what the Access Card might be called. The Minister is
empowered in the proposed legislation (see below) to determine the
name of the card and any symbol used in relation to the card (section
27), and that name/symbol will become the protected property of the
Commonwealth (section 28). The Commonwealth will also have the power
to compulsorily acquire such related rights if they are currently
held privately, on the payment of just compensation (section 73). For
the purposes of this Paper we will simply use the term Access Card
where appropriate. ...
---

>And what is this 'formerly known as' bit? Is it now called something else?

The Register was called the "Secure Customer Registration Service". I
guess that was better than calling it the "Insecure Registration Service". ;-)

Tom Worthington FACS HLM tom.worthington at tomw.net.au Ph: 0419 496150
Director, Tomw Communications Pty Ltd            ABN: 17 088 714 309
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617                http://www.tomw.net.au/
Visiting Fellow, ANU      Blog: http://www.tomw.net.au/blog/atom.xml