[LINK] Aussie 'Video Lifelines'

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Sun Mar 25 14:38:13 AEST 2007

At 14:45 +1000 25/3/07, Jan Whitaker wrote:
>I doubt video lifelines would have any effect without the humane concern.

Very much agreed, but there's another issue.

I argued when the public Internet was young (c. 1993) that
counselling services would need to be text-only, or voice-only.  My
point was that video would stultify the relationship rather than
opening it out, and would create security issues that both sides, but
especially counsellors can well do without.

Even in this era of mass, lemming-like self-exposure, I still think the same.

--
Roger Clarke                  http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916

Visiting Professor in Info Science & Eng  Australian National University
Visiting Professor in the eCommerce Program      University of Hong Kong