[LINK] Aussie 'Video Lifelines'

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Sun Mar 25 22:38:55 AEST 2007

At 10:03 PM 25/03/2007, stephen at melbpc.org.au wrote:
>A Lifeline service with both phone or net-video seems
>inevitable to me. Why not sooner rather than later? Lives are at stake.

Just a tad hyperbolic, don't you think? One of the reasons non-visual
systems like phone and text work in these situations is because of
the anonymity factor. It's the 'secular confessional'. So what if the
'professional' is advantaged by the visual cues? The important person
in the exchange is the person reaching out for help. Many of whome
are already weak in social exchange. To add a visual element on top
of it is less than helpful.

any real psychologists on here? My opinion is based on observing the
increased amount of revelation that happens in text only conferences
and the lack of sharing even in mundane communication when a tv
camera is added in videoconferencing. People become self-conscious.
Add a vulnerable self-concept and the personal sharing declines further.

Jan

Jan Whitaker
JLWhitaker Associates, Melbourne Victoria
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
personal: http://www.janwhitaker.com/personal/
commentary: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/

'Seed planting is often the most important step. Without the seed,
there is no plant.' - JW, April 2005