[LINK] Labor commits to $4.5b high-speed Internet network

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Mon Mar 26 10:33:37 AEST 2007

At 09:41 AM 26/03/2007, Stewart Fist wrote:

>There was even a political movement which aimed to put a sort-of U-shaped
>duct system under footpaths, to carry storm-water, pipes, wires etc. Then
>all the authorities would need to do was to lift paving slabs to get access.

This is exactly how my street cabling is installed. There is a slab
for access (that breaks by large trucks parked on it occasionally,
leaving a gaping hole in the footpath that isn't a footpath because
they saved money by not putting them on my side of the street). All
services are underground - phone, gas, water, electric. I don't know
what the conduits themselves look like, though.

My estate has been here for probably 15 years or so. I've been here 8
1/2 years.

Jan

Jan Whitaker
JLWhitaker Associates, Melbourne Victoria
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
personal: http://www.janwhitaker.com/personal/
commentary: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/

'Seed planting is often the most important step. Without the seed,
there is no plant.' - JW, April 2005