[LINK] Link's Influence

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Tue Mar 27 00:11:33 AEST 2007

At 12:10 AM 26/03/2007, stephen at melbpc.org.au wrote:

> I'd also guess what we say here will have nil effect ..

Actually, I don't believe that.

In my experience Link is quite influential indeed. Time and time again
I've noticed for example that a topic bought up on Link gaining currency
(all of a sudden) in various political forums, and the media. One example
was a long email regarding privacy, which quickly appeared as a newspaper
item, and as far as one could tell, the arguments presented there-in were
almost word for word and also ordered very similarly as in the Link email.

In addition, on a number of occasions, I for one have been approached by
various print media following list emails with a request to either submit
that email, or one similar, as a letter to the editor. It appears obvious
that Link is indeed quite influential in Australia.

Though I guess one will never really know, I'm wondering if Linkers have
noticed this wider dissemination effect, and what, if anything, should be
done about it? I'd guess it's a good thing, but one would like it if Link
were to receive due recognition if it is true. Any Link thoughts re this?

Cheers, Link
Stephen Loosley
Victoria, Australia