[LINK] Link's Influence

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Tue Mar 27 08:30:23 AEST 2007

At 12:11 AM 27/03/2007, stephen at melbpc.org.au wrote:
>Though I guess one will never really know, I'm wondering if Linkers have
>noticed this wider dissemination effect, and what, if anything, should be
>done about it? I'd guess it's a good thing, but one would like it if Link
>were to receive due recognition if it is true. Any Link thoughts re this?

I believe it goes both ways. The people on link are in touch with
what is happening in the world, pay attention to the media, read
widely, are involved in policy influencing organisations, and are
generally open with their opinions that are often better informed
than the general public. I believe the members have a diverse set of
interests as well, not just the topic for which link was established,
as can be seen by the many times we go OT (and ott!). We are
fortunate to have professional journalists, as well as lawyers,
analysts, information managers, technologists, and academics as
members. This diversity means we look at problems/issues through a
huge range of prisms, not just the nuts and bolts and software like
on some IT lists. Context is often an important part of our discussions.

As for 'done about it?', that seems like a strange way to put it. Why
would a 'mailing list' get recognition rather than the contributor?
Even then, the discussions seldom lead to conclusions or consensus.
We build our opinions as a result of the give and take and questions.
I don't know how any of it could be teased out for attribution to any
one individual. So maybe that's what you mean by recognition of the
'list' - or as it is referred to in another group I belong to, the 'listmind'.

Jan

Jan Whitaker
JLWhitaker Associates, Melbourne Victoria
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
personal: http://www.janwhitaker.com/personal/
commentary: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/

'Seed planting is often the most important step. Without the seed,
there is no plant.' - JW, April 2005